Thursday, June 5, 2008

Pie Time




I love pie more than cake. Don't get restless cake fans, I'll still eat up some cake!
But I decided this summer I would learn how to make pies. Pie crust and baking in general seems so daunting to me, since baking is a science and actually requires measuring and time control whereas cooking doesn't. So I admit I was a little wary of what might be the outcome of my learning curve.

But lo and behold thanks to the recipe below, I actually made pie, without any type of machinery or magic.

And the egg wash really does make a difference!


All Butter Crust for Sweet and Savory Pies (Pâte Brisée)
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for rolling
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, very-cold, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
4 to 6 Tbsp ice water


2 comments:

hawk krall said...

pie is pretty much the closest I get to baking. the measuring doesn't have to be that exact, and there is no yeast or rising involved, and you can put whatever the hell you want inside of it. it's basically a giant ravioli.

Becky said...

I love pie more than cake too! Salty crunchy crust + sweet and tangy fruit = best of both worlds if you ask me. I heard the trick to pie crust is really cold butter and not too much kneading as not to activate the gluten or something like that.