Sunday, April 26, 2009

Cambodian New Years






The first hot weekend in Phildelphia and I wake up to the smell of sweet marinated meats. Tim followed that smell to the park on Morris and 15th, and found Buddhist monks praying and skewered meats grilling.

The highlight for me was this awesome cambodian grandma frying the most amazing coconut battered taro. ( for all those places that try to make coconut fried shrimp take note ) It wasn't too sweet, but just slightly sweet from the coconut milk carmalizing and really crunchy with warm taro on the inside. As you can see from the photo, she battered it up and fried it while we waited. After that I was done I didn't need to eat anything else. They were 2 for a dollar. I got a fresh coconut juice which was 3 bucks and a green mango covered in fish sauce, lime juice and salt and hot chili paste. Okay that was awesome too.

I'm pretty positive that they do this every year, since we have a huge cambodian south philly population.

2 comments:

Phoenixvillian said...

I want to wake up to the smell of sweet marinated meats :-)

Kris Chau said...

I know sing it sista! sweet marinated meats!