Monday, November 12, 2007

Fried Chicken & Greens

so out of sheer laziness on a sunday morning I went shopping at the asian market two blocks from my house rather than walk the extra 10 minutes to the regular supermarket.

sometimes things like "blackened goat intestines" , "old chicken" and "dried fish innard & tripe meatballs" scare the hell out of me - not to say I wouldn't try any of those things...

but actually their fresh (not pre-packaged) meats & fish are pretty decent, and their produce is fresh, exotic & ridiculously affordable. for example, a bundle of lemongrass stalks that would be 9 dollars at your average overpriced "natural foods" megastore is 99 cents here.





so I breaded & panko crusted some cut up chicken breasts, fried em 'up in peanut oil and they turned out perfect. everyone talks a lot of smack about how peanut oil is the best for deep frying, and damn if it isn't true. the chicken got a perfect golden brown color and the taste is much cleaner than frying with vegetable oil.


served the chicken with some mustard greens sauteed in garlic & habanero peppers, and mashed potatoes that were about 50% butter. if I ever quit my day job I'll eat like this every day.




1 comment:

Kris Chau said...

delicious! You made chicken katsu! In japan or hawaii its pork or chicken cutlet breaded in panko with katsu "fruits" sauce. Which is this worchestery type sauce.

YUM!