Sunday, January 25, 2009

Kung Hee Fat Choy








It's the Year of the Ox, and for the first time I got to go home to see my parents during Chinese New Year. Which for my mom means a visit to the chinese butcher for roast duck and my favorite the chinese bakery.

My mom said this year was lucky because this particular bakery has been closed for a year, but just re-opened in time for chinese new year, but now the new owners are the baker's children. There candied lotus, fresh pork buns ( steamed or baked ) candied coconut, banana rolls, and the best darn macadamia nut sesame candy on, uh Earth. I know it's bold but I'm willing to make that statement.

The Chinese butcher had some of the best roast duck I've had in a long time. But really I was drooling over the idea of buying an entire styrofoam of char siu or shoyu chicken and eating it all by myself. But I didn't, not in front of my mom, next trip.

Nam Fong Restaurant
1029 Maunakea St
Honolulu, HI 96817
(808) 599-5244

Sing Cheong Yuan Bakery
1027 Maunakea St
808-531-6688

No comments: